World-class professional and Olympic athletes seek sports chiropractic care as a drug-free way to achieve optimal health and physical performance. Chiropractic and sports performance go together like a bat and ball!
You don’t have to be a professional athlete to get the benefits of chiropractic care. Sports chiropractic care works for anyone who lives a healthy and active lifestyle.
Sports chiropractic can help you perform at your maximum level regardless of your sport. Yoga, running, swimming, cycling, surfing, Pilates, virtually anything – they can all benefit from chiropractic treatment.
Below, Hinterland Chiropractic presents only some of the advantages of chiropractic treatment, and a bit of friendly advice.
How Chiropractic Can Help
1) Improved Performance Regular adjustments keep the spine working smoothly, which in turn boosts the body’s overall performance. In one study (The Journal of the Canadian Chiropractic Association), athletes demonstrated a 6.12 per cent performance increase after chiropractic treatment. Another study found a 30 per cent (Lauro A. Mouch B. Chiropractic: The Journal of Chiropractic Research and Clinical Investigation. 1991; 6:84-87) improvement in eye-hand coordination after 12 weeks of chiropractic care.
In another study of 18 Brazilian judo athletes, half received chiropractic adjustments to their cervical spine, located in the neck. Researchers examined the effect of the treatment by evaluating the athletes’ grip strength, because judo relies heavily on muscle forces in the hands and arms.
Following three treatment sessions, the athletes in the chiropractic group had an improvement in grip strength of 10% on the left side and 16% on the right side, while untreated athletes did not.
2) Healing. Misalignments throughout the body can impede healing. When athletes are injured, much of the pain they feel is their bodies trying to protect themselves with muscle spasms and inflammation. This greatly increases the time that it takes for the athlete to recover. Chiropractic care and adjustments speed up the recovery process of your muscles.
Chiropractic care can help restore full motion, or even increase motion, to strained or sprained ankles, knees and shoulders. As range of motion is restored, pain subsides.
3) Pain Reduction. Research has shown that chiropractic care, in particular spinal cord adjustments, can have a massive impact on pain. Data suggests that spinal manipulative therapy can reduce pain in healthy young adults. Consequently, athletes can have shorter recovery times and return to their sports sooner. Reducing the pain associated with injuries, allows athletes to return to their stretching and receive physical therapy more quickly, leading to a better recovery time.
4) Non-Invasive/Drug Free. Oftentimes, the first tactic of traditional medical treatment is to use invasive treatments. Invasive treatments include medications/drugs, vaccinations, and surgery.
These procedures are great in emergency situations. But for minor or moderate injuries, chiropractic can provide less invasive care that promotes a healthy lifestyle. Drugs, particularly, often treat symptoms and not causes, have sometimes dangerous side effects, and can harm general health.
Chiropractic, on the other hand, is a holistic approach that does not used pharmaceutical medications to achieve healing. Chiropractic gets to the root of the problem to restore and maintain a healthy body. Your Gold Coast chiropractor will provide you with diet, exercise, posture, and other health improvements that can prevent you from experiencing a repetitive injury.
5) Injury Prevention, The best way to deal with an injury is to make sure that it cannot happen! And chiropractic can be part of your approach to injury prevention.
A recent study (Hoskins and Pollard) looked at two groups of semi-elite Australian Rules football athletes. All athletes received their usual medical care. Half also received chiropractic care, which consisted of both soft tissue and high velocity spinal manipulation. When chiropractic care was added to conventional management, there was a significant reduction in lower limb strain injuries, time missed as a result of knee injuries, lower low back pain, and there was a general improvement in health status.
With all these advantages, it seems clear that chiropractic should be part of your training regimen!
Eleven Bonus Tips!
If you are a weekend warrior, or are about to become one, Hinterland Chiropractic offers the following advice:
- Consult your chiropractor or doctor before starting any exercise program.
- Take it slow, particularly if you are at the beginning of training.
- Warm up gently before stretching.
- Exercise regularly.
- Mix it up — cross-train to avoid overworking individual areas.
- Rest when your body needs it, particularly older athletes.
- Pay attention to your form to avoid injuries like ‘tennis elbow’.
- Listen to your body.
- Stay hydrated.
- Consider taking a multivitamin or mineral supplement.
- Wear/Use proper equipment.
See Us at Hinterland Chiropractic in Gold Coast
If you are an athlete, athletic, or even a couch-potato, take control of your health by talking to your doctor of chiropractic at Hinterland Chiropractic. At Hinterland Chiropractic we provide holistic advice and treatment for a variety of health issues.
We are always happy to see new patients!
Visit us soon and receive a COMPLETE Consultation and Examination. Yours for ONLY $45!
- Full spinal & postural examination
- Full report of findings
- Bilateral weight scales analysis
- X-Rays (If required)
- Computerised spinal scan