Healthy Holiday: Six Super Foods Great for This Holiday
Holiday foods are loaded with health benefits.
With the right choices and preparation of holiday meals, you can stay fit over the holidays while providing your body the nutrients it needs.
Here are some guilt-free winter foods that should be present on your menu this holiday:
- Packed with carotenoids that help prevent heart disease.
- Excellent source of vitamins A, C, E, B6 including thiamine, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, magnesium, manganese and potassium.
- Has beta-carotene that helps prevent asthma and lower cancer risk
- Best known to prevent UTI due to its high level of proanthocyanidins
- Contains polyphenols that may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease
- Slow down tumour progression and have positive effects against certain types of cancers.
- Contains alpha-lipoic acid, helping the body convert glucose to energy.
- The quercetin in potato skin contains powerful inflammatory properties and antioxidant capabilities.
- Great source of vitamin B6 – essential in new cell formation in the body, brain cell and nervous system activity and cardiovascular protection.
- One medium spud has over 400% of your daily needs for vitamin A
- It’s high fibre content helps prevent constipation and promote regularity
- With choline that helps with sleep and muscle movement as well as learning and memory.
- Excellent source of fibre, folate and carotenoids.
- Rich in antioxidants that remove free radicals from your body
- High in vitamin K, which strengthens bones
- Rich in selenium, which is known to support thyroid health
- Pasture-raised turkey has a higher content of omega-3 than factory-farmed turkeys
- Contains a hormone called tryptophan, which may reduce depression
For more healthy holiday tips and comprehensive nutritional advice, visit Hinterland Chiropractic today!